Wednesday, June 8, 2011

IS THERE REALLY A CONSTITIUTION?

Is this Real?
Sometimes I wonder if there really is a working Constitution in this country.  I keep hearing about it.  I see articles about it in newspapers and magazines.  I see TV shows that talk about it and I even hear discussions of it on the radio.  The bottom line is , I'm not really sure it it actually exists.  It's more like the Loch Ness Monster story to me, than a real thing.  
What makes me wonder is when I see the obvious violations of the document occurring over and over.   For example, the recent Healthcare debate and the fact that the government is trying to force everyone to purchase healthcare insurance comes to mind.  Though the Constitution seeks to prevent the uncontrolled power of government we continue to see attempts to circumvent the document and worse yet, we see far to many judges willing to allow it.  The  mandate of forcing every American to have health coverage is a current example, there are many others.  Even as far back at 1916 with the passage of the 16th Amendment creating an Income Tax, we see examples that ignore the intentions of the Founders.  
There is a constant attack on the Constitution and its intent.  In Article I Section 1, there is a provision indicating the three requirements to become President.  Despite having only three specified requirements, there is some discussion as to whether the current occupant of the White House may be in direct violation of the "natural born" portion these requirements.   We Americans love to talk about imposing "Democracy" on people all over the world.  We are involved in wars seeking to do just that yet, we can't see to respect the supreme law of the land ourselves.  How can we expect others with no background in democracy  to espouse our system of government and its laws when we ourselves continually try to circumvent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment