Tuesday, May 29, 2012

THE MYTH OF EDUCATION

There are many beliefs that have come and gone in my life.  Going back to my youth I can recall having an active imagination.  You remember imagination, it existed before the so called, advancements in technology, before the internet, the laptop, the Netbook or the iPad.  It was even before cell phones, laser surgery, or satellite TV.  It was a time when you could take a large card board box and turn it into a fort, when you had to figure out ways to make  your own fun, to keep yourself busy and actually "think," on your feet.  
There was the myth of Santa Claus, the Tooth-Fairy, and The Easter Bunny.  I can't tell you how many hours of my life were put into waiting for the Tooth-Fairy to put that quarter under my pillow or, heaven forbid, A DOLLAR. Or the Easter Bunny who would hide that basket of chocolate somewhere in the house and the time I would spend running around trying to find it.  Best of all the myth of Santa Claus.  Starting at the beginning of the month, counting down the days, hoping against hope to get than new toy I would so desperately want each year.  
Eventually (though sadly), I came to realize that there was no Santa, or Tooth Fairy and that that basket of goodies I received every Easter Sunday, was strategically placed by my mother and not some overgrown Bunny. 
Lately, in my later years I've come to the realization of the falseness of another long held myth.  I am speaking of the myth that public schools are actually teaching and educating their students.  More often than not the student is learning despite the idiocy of the system.  Smart kids are going to learn regardless.  The downgrading of education began decades ago when the liberals pushed their way into education and began to erode the morals of the nation, while simultaneously destroying the family.  Today, the decline still continues.  Real learning and teaching has been replaced by standardized testing and the resultant, "teaching to the test" which has become a debilitating side effect.  As student are taught the test, they become good only at taking the test and not in actual learning.  Add this to the decay at home and you have a recipe for failure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment